Wednesday, June 18, 2014

That Time I Travelled Solo the First Time

31 January - 2 February 2014
Vigan - Laoag - Pagudpud

The long journey to Pagudpud

According to Wikipedia, a traveller is someone who travels, especially to distant lands. By this definition, basically anyone can call themselves a traveller. But for me, it requires more to be able to call yourself a traveller. For me, that means being comfortable to go off alone to somewhere unfamiliar and distant, albeit not necessarily without fear of anxiety. By this, I am definitely not a traveller. Although I have taken flights and ridden buses to places I have never been before, I had always done so with someone, which automatically eliminates the feelings of discomfort, of insecurity, and of worry.

There had been several attempts to solve this identity crisis (Bolinao in August 2013, Baler in November 2013, another Bolinao in December 2013) but it wasn't only until January of 2014 that I finally pushed through with my intention. With my mind racing and my heart palpitating, I powered through all my doubts and took a taxi to the bus station.

At the bus station, I automatically calmed down as I sat in line for three hours amidst the Chinese New Year exodus and the scheduling chaos. I was no longer anxious nor scared but bored and desperate. I was just thankful that I was finally sitting in a bus even if it wasn't exactly headed for Ilocos.

At around 12nn, after 9hrs of just sitting and/or sleeping, I got off along the National Highway just before the bus made a turn for Abra. I stood with my backpack as I watched the bus that was supposed to take me to my destination leave me at a town I have never heard of before with only suggestions of how to get to Laoag.

Fortunately, I have always been amazed with being somewhere unfamiliar. So instead of panicking, I stood with awe and with a mind full of opportunities. But I gripped myself and focused on my original destination. After thirty minutes of waiting beside bus vendors watching vans and buses all not headed to Laoag pass by, I decided to take the van to Vigan instead and find a bus to Laoag from there.

A little over an hour later, arriving at Vigan, I discovered that buses to Laoag or Pagudpud are not to depart until late in the afternoon, posing another dilemma of whether to pursue (but with risk) my original plan to watch the sunset from Saud Beach in Pagupud. I considered all actions I could take and decided to just stay in the touristy but still beautiful heritage city of Vigan -- where I stayed in the worst room I have ever been, and I have stayed in P250-rooms before.

Now, I have been to Vigan before which means that it is a relatively comfortable place to be in -- a happy break in this already challenging and spontaneous trip. I know my way around and even though I was surrounded by groups of tourists, I did not feel too insecure.

The next morning, I was up at 5am to chance upon a bus to either Laoag or Pagudpud and could not be more eager to get out of my filthy room. 2hrs more and I was finally at Laoag, one more ride away to my destination. I enjoyed the early morning sights and walked all the way to where the mini-buses bound to Pagudpud are. I have been to Laoag too before so I was quite confident traversing even along the streets I haven't been to. I boarded the first van to depart and was finally, happily and proudly, on my way to Maira-ira Beach (Blue Lagoon) at the further border of Pagudpud.

I arrived at Wally's World Homestay at around 10am, 17hrs late from my original timeline and skipping day 1 of the original itinerary. I proceeded to get surfing lessons and then to find a peaceful enough lunch place where I met a legitimate traveller. He told me about that time he reached Baguio without paying for transportation and that time he went to Boracay from Mindoro only on a jet ski. In the afternoon, my surf instructor took me on a private tour to a cave and up the surrounding hills. He told me that he was originally from Tarlac and permanently moved to Pagudpud after falling in love with the place.

The next morning, I woke up early to watch the sunrise, originally intending to watch it from the nearby hill but decided it dangerous to climb alone. I found a quiet spot with a view of the beach, the water, and the distant hills and watched as the rising sun slowly altered the color of the sky from a deep dark blue to a golden yellow and finally to a blinding white. It was one of my most peaceful mornings ever and thinking of how far I travelled, 560kms to be exact, and what I went through to be there -- two bus rides, two van rides, and a whole lot of doubts -- made it even more special.

I'M WATCHING THE SUNRISE FROM A PLACE I HAVEN'T BEEN BEFORE, A THOUSAND KILOMETERS FROM MY HOME BASE, AND I MADE IT HERE ALL BY MYSELF. WOW.

Other Posts (upcoming):
Why I'll never take a plane to Ilocos
Why I chose Pagudpud as my first-solo-trip destination

No comments: