Saturday, March 29, 2014

Helpless at Alapad Hill

It had been 20kms of sloping roads since we first started our biking trip. Our breakfast of soft rice with chicken bits had long come and gone. And although there were a number of detours and rest stops along the way, fatigue has already started creeping in.

We just came down from Racuh a Payaman and were making our way to Songsong. I was eyeing a sharp mountain curve and was strongly pedaling my way to it through a manageable gust. No problem. But as I came closer and closer, I found it harder and harder to keep my bike under control. And as soon as I could see to the other side, I was forced to dismount and cling to a wall of rock for dear life.

The mountain wind mixing with the sea wind was creating a strong breeze that was pushing my bike cliff-ward. I knew I was still a safe distance away but biking was a new skill and the wind felt determined. My courage eventually broke and I got off almost as soon as it did. Overlyanxiousthoughcapablebritpino must have felt the same because she almost jumped from her bike and similarly stuck to the wall beside me. (Or maybe she sensed my broken courage and ran to my comfort).

It was an overwhelming experience. I couldn't move. I couldn't think. I felt helpless against the roaring wind. It was one strong gust after another. And although our rocky sanctuary provided little to no protection at all, we kept clinging to it for lack of alternatives and for fear of being blown off cliff.

Upon regaining some composure,I started looking around for a better shelter and realized how magnificently beautiful our unmoved salvation was. It was a sculptured rock marking the corner of a hill and overlooking a sea of crashing waves and fortified rock formations. It appeared to be made of sedimentary layers which slanted to the sea at a 45-degree angle and glowed with the morning sun. There were small crevices and a narrow ledge leading to them that I would have wanted to explore if not for our current dilemma.

As we clung to our rock, weighing our courage against the strong wind, three motorcycles breezily drove thru our challenge spot. They glanced at us while we lookingly implored for help. But I guess, even with our knees almost to the ground and bodies bent over forward in attempt to resist the wind, we weren't convincing enough. (Or maybe they also couldn't afford to stop and lose their momentum against it.)

Realizing that we need to get through our dilemma on our own, we hung on until the gust became manageable enough. I'm not sure whether it indeed mellowed down or we became more determined but we mounted our bikes and pedaled through without injury.

It only took two pedals to go around the curve and away from the relentless wind. But those two pedals definitely demanded a lot of courage and physical strength.

Later on down at Ivana, we learned that the glorious rock we desperately clung to was the Alapad Hill Rock Formation that was in our itinerary. I thought we missed it but it turned out we shared a very intimate moment with it.

For obvious reasons,  we didn't have a picture at the spot so I grabbed this from Pinasmuna.com. The road definitely looks harmless and I'm sure it is on a clear day. The wind was crazy during our visit, hence the struggle, which was also a lucky incident for me.

Alapad Hill Formation. Sharp corner ahead.

No comments: